Supplements for Insomnia
At some point in life, everyone battles insomnia. We've all experienced sleepless nights, yet insomnia is much more difficult to manage for some people. This can raise a few concerns, as we all need sufficient sleep to maintain heart health, reduce stress, and improve memory—not to mention promote weight loss. Simply put, adequate sleep is a must to keep a healthy lifestyle and even stay fit. Not only does sleep deficiency affect our overall health, it also has a large impact on our daily lives, and loads of caffeine don't always suffice.
Fortunately, sleep deprivation and insomnia can be resolved with the right practices. While sleep pills may be a viable option, there are plenty of natural ways to fall asleep. At Road to Nutrition, we recognize the importance of sleep, and we know the toll insomnia often takes on those who suffer from it. Having said that, we've provided useful information to help you get adequate rest, as well as created an effective supplement to give you a deeper sleep while keeping your metabolism healthy and running. After all, sleeping is our prime recovery period. Take a look below to see how you can improve your sleep patterns.
Natural Ways to Fall Asleep: Helpful Hints
When it comes to defeating restless nights, and even insomnia, you can take a number of actions to achieve proper rest without the aid of sleeping pills. As mentioned, sleep is absolutely essential for both our overall health and functioning in daily life. Before we discuss beneficial supplements for insomnia, let's look at a few natural ways to fall asleep. View the list below:
- Maintain a Sleep Routine: Try going to bed at the same time every night to regulate your internal clock. As great as it feels, sleeping in will actually alter your internal clock and make it difficult to wake up. 7 to 8 hours of sleep is recommended.
- Stay Active: Research shows regular aerobic exercise can improve sleep quality, vitality, and even relieve symptoms of stress. Physical activity, in general, should make falling asleep that much easier as well.
- Eat Right: A well-balanced diet is always ideal, but it can affect your sleep too. You should obviously avoid caffeine, and be sure to eat a few hours before you hit the sack.
- Quit Smoking: Nicotine can be stimulating, and nighttime withdrawals could prevent you from falling asleep easier.
- Keep it Dark and Cool: Light lets your brain know it's time to wake up, so keep your room dark to maintain production of melatonin. It's also recommended you keep the room around 65º Fahrenheit for optimal rest.
The natural ways to fall asleep listed above have proven to help many attain the sleep they need, so consider trying these tips for yourself. To further promote a better night's rest, you can add in some beneficial supplements.
Best Supplements for Insomnia
While there are plenty of natural ways to get sufficient sleep, taking supplements may also be necessary to tackle insomnia. Calcium and magnesium are both recognized for their ability to promote restful sleep, and taking them together could present optimal results. Additionally, consider taking the supplements listed below to achieve adequate sleep.
- L-theanine: Found in green tea, L-theanine works to trigger GABA (listed below), which activates the main calming neurotransmitters to reduce anxiety and improve relaxation.
- GABA: As stated above, GABA is involved in promoting relaxation, however, L-theanine is often necessary for the body to absorb GABA.
- Biotin: Though rare, biotin deficiencies can lead to insomnia. Before taking a biotin supplement for insomnia, consult with your doctor to ensure a deficiency is the cause.
- Ashwagandha: When stress is a contributing factor to insomnia, ashwagandha is often recommended, as it reduces stress and protects the nervous system.
- Valerian: Believed to have sedative properties, valerian can increase amounts of the aforementioned GABA and help you fall asleep faster.
You can find a few of the beneficial supplements above in our products at Road to Nutrition. Designed to aid in sleep, reduce stress, and even enhance cognitive function, our VITALgh and Nightburn supplements may be just what you need to achieve that perfect amount of sleep, as well as stay healthy and fit.
You can learn more about our supplements on our site, as well as how to maintain a healthy lifestyle.