September 6, 2011
After School Snacks
Back to school may be here already for you, if not it's soon on its way! What happens when the kids come home from school? They want a snack! And rightfully so, since it's been a few hours since lunch and dinner is a few hours away. Here are a week's worth of snacks to try this school year.
1. Apple slices and warm peanut (or almond) butter: The apple provides fiber and a bit of Vitamin C; the nut butter's a filling protein and adds healthful fat to the mix. Make the nut butter dippable by warming it in the microwave for a few seconds.
2. Popcorn: Full of fiber, low in calories, nice and filling and fun to eat. Cooked on the stove top in olive oil, it's also a source of healthful fat. Go easy on the butter and salt.
3. Smoothie: Blend low-fat vanilla or plain yogurt (or tofu) with whatever fresh or frozen fruits you have on hand. Serve with a few whole-grain crackers.
4. Vegetables and hummus: Red-pepper strips, sliced cucumbers, carrot sticks, celery, baby tomatoes dipped in hummus.
5. Banana and pistachios: Bananas provide heart-healthy potassium. Pistachios offer fiber and healthful fats. Serve them in the shell; they're more entertaining that way and take longer to eat.
Posted by Lisa at September 6, 2011 8:30 PM
To send a trackback, use this url. If you know anything about this subject, please post a comment.