May 23, 2011
Afternoon Snacks for Kids
When kids come home from school hungry, they reach for the quickest fix possible -- often a box of cookies or a bag of chips. Healthy? Hardly.
The healthiest carbs come from whole grains, fruits, vegetables and small amounts of dark chocolate, while the best protein sources are dairy, nuts and beans. Here are 10 smart snack ideas that give kids a healthy combination of essential nutrients:
1. Graham crackers with Nutella spread
2. Sliced banana with peanut butter
3. Low-fat yogurt with semisweet chocolate chips
4. Bowl of cereal with dried blueberries and chopped pecans
5. Mini breakfast burrito with one scrambled egg and shredded cheese
6. Turkey and cheese on whole-grain crackers
7. Pita chips with hummus
8. Whole-grain or blue corn tortilla chips with black bean salsa
9. Cheese quesadillas
10. Waffles or French toast with peanut butter and jam
There is one catch: Most older kids won't take the time to prepare healthy after-school food for themselves, and younger ones won't be able to. To ensure that your kids get the power snack they need, assemble it ahead of time so it's ready as soon as they walk in the door.
Posted by Lisa at May 23, 2011 9:15 PM
To send a trackback, use this url. If you know anything about this subject, please post a comment.