July 21, 2008
My version of an American-style Gyro. One of my favorites.
4 pita breads
½ cup plain yogurt
1 tsp dried mint leaves
1 small cucumber, seeded and chopped (3/4 cup)
1 pound flank steak, trimmed and cut into strips
1 Tbsp lemon juice
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp dried oregano
¼ tsp black pepper
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 small onion, chopped (1/4 cup)
2 cups shredded lettuce
1 medium tomato, chopped (3/4 cup)
1. Split each pita bread halfway around edge with knife; separate to form pocket.
2. Mix yogurt, mint and cucumber in a small bowl.
3. Heat skillet over medium heat. Add steak and cook for about 4 minutes.
4. Add lemon juice, cumin, oregano, pepper, garlic and onion. Cook until steak is done.
5. Toast pita bread in toaster oven.
6. Fill pitas with steak mixture. Top with yogurt sauce, lettuce and tomato.
Posted by Lisa at July 21, 2008 7:05 AM
To send a trackback, use this url. If you know anything about this subject, please post a comment.